For this week’s Thrifty Thursday I thought I would show you my new toy that I have acquired (for free I might add) off of Freecycle.
Now I know it’s not the most modern or prettiest thing you’ve ever seen but it works and it was free so who am I to complain!
These are the products that we have been using to make our bread.
Homemade Bread Recipe
The only reason that we chose these products is because they were on offer in Tesco. When they are no longer on offer we shall shop around for the best prices on other products.
Here is a basic white bread recipe (for a 750g loaf) …
- Dried Yeast 2tsp
- Strong Plain Flour 500g
- Caster Sugar 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt 1 1/2 tsp
- Butter 10g
- Water 300ml
- Place all the ingredients in the bread maker in the exact order listed in the recipe
- Wipe away any spills from the outside of the bread pan
- Lock the bread pan into position in the baking chamber and close the lid
- Set the machine to the right setting (in this case Basic Medium 750g) and press start
- After baking remove from the machine straight away. Put bread on a wire rack and allow to cool.
This was our first ever attempt at it and we have since made a batch every two days and we are getting better at it each time. We have tweaked the ingredients as we have gone along and the recipe you see above is the one we are using at the moment.
We have worked out that we are saving 40p per loaf from making it ourselves rather than buying it in the shop which I think is quite good. It all helps right?
So now it’s your turn to share you thrifty posts with us in this week’s Thrifty Thursday. It doesn’t matter if they are old or new and can be about anything to do with saving money and being thrifty. I hope you join in.