We are currently on a mission to reduce our food waste and one bit of food that I want to work on is the end bits of a loaf of bread. Normally I would just throw them in the food bin which is a horrible waste and very un-thrifty of me. Each week I’m going to attempt to do something new with them and today I tried out french toast.
Fun Fact: In France, French Toast is often called pain perdu, or “lost bread.”
French Toast Recipe
2 x eggs
- 2 x end bits of bread
- good splash of milk (we used soya)
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- honey or maple syrup
- Whisk up the eggs, cinnamon and milk together in a jug
- Dip in the ends bits of bread, making sure that the bread soaks up the mixture
- Melt some butter in a pan and fry up the bread. Fry until brown on both sides.
- Serve with butter, honey or maple syrup.
It worked really well and the kiddies seemed to enjoy it…
Next I’m going to attempt to make croutons.
If you have any suggestions of other things to do with the end bits of bread I’d love to hear them.